It’s fairly common knowledge that in order to get that radiant, clear and healthy skin that we all crave, you need an exfoliating routine. Also important is that, for best results, it must be done properly and safely. Choosing the right exfoliant can be a hassle because you have to make sure its ingredients are safe and rightly suited for your skin. However, with a DIY exfoliating scrub you get to choose what you put in it and also ensure they’re only safe and natural ingredients. Other benefits include being inexpensive, easy to make along with the fact that the ingredients are probably already lying around your kitchen.
Honey and Oats DIY exfoliating scrub
Honey doesn’t just make your food taste better, it makes your face look better too. It has very strong antibacterial properties and has been said to be more effective than a lot many over-the-counter medicines out there. So if you have acne prone skin, honey is your friend.
One super quality of honey that makes it so special, is its ability to help your skin retain moisture and keep it from drying out.
Oats on the other hand, has amazing anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that will do your skin a lot of good while removing dead skin cells.
To make this DIY exfoliating scrub, you need:
- 2 tablespoons of finely ground organic oats
- 1 tablespoon of honey.
Pour all your ingredients into a small container and mix .
- Apply on your face and very gently work in it for about 60 seconds.
- Rinse off with lukewarm water and go in with your facial moisturizer.
- Store what’s left of your scrub in the fridge.
Use within a week.
This scrub is best for combination to oily skin.
Baking soda and Honey DIY Exfoliating Scrub
Baking soda is a naturally occurring compound with mild exfoliating properties as well as antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
Baking soda in addition to honey will give you a facial scrub that will gently remove dead skin cells while soothing your skin.
- 2 tablespoons of baking powder
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- Warm up your honey for a few seconds in the microwave to allow for easy mix
- In a bowl, mix all ingredients to make a paste like consistency.
- Apply on your face in circular motions for about 1 minute
- Rinse off with lukewarm water and moisturize
- Gently rub it into your face for one minute in circular motions.
- Rinse off with lukewarm water
- While your skin is still damp, use your moisturizer.
This recipe is best suited for oily skin
Milk and Honey DIY Exfoliating Scrub
If you can tolerate diary and have sensitive skin then this DIY exfoliating scrub is for you.
Milk contains lactic acid which is a really gentle chemical exfoliant and so this scrub will gently slough away your dead skin cells.
The combination of milk and honey will exfoliate your skin, soothe inflammation and moisturise your skin.
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Thoroughly mix both ingredients in a bowl
- Work the mixture into your skin with fingers in circular motions. If you find this mixture too runny, you can use a cotton pad to apply it on your face.
Best suited for sensitive skin
Banana and Oats DIY Exfoliating Scrub.
Bananas are another favourite of the natural skincare enthusiasts. They contain silica that can boost your skin’s collagen production along with potassium, vitamin A and vitamin C.
Combining bananas with oats for your DIY exfoliating scrub will give you great results. It will help to slough away dead skin cells while also providing you with amazing skincare benefits.
- 1 ripe banana
- 2 tablespoons of organic rolled oats
- Mash your banana with a fork in a bowl
- Finely grind your oats in a food processor
- Combine both ingredients in a bowl and mix
- Gently work it into your skin in circular motions for one minute
- Rinse off with lukewarm water
- Moisturize your face
Coffee and Honey DIY Exfoliating Scrub
Coffee is a natural exfoliant that will slough off your dead skin cells in the gentlest way possible. It has the ability to calm inflamed skin, provide you with an antioxidant blast and give you that healthy radiant skin you crave.
This recipe combines coffee with honey to give you the ideal facial scrub for oily and acne prone skin.
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 2 tablespoons of organic coffee
- finely grind your coffee in a food processor.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix until a paste consistency is achieved.
- Apply on your face in circular motions for one minute.
Best suited for oily to combination skin
Coffee and Yogurt DIY Exfoliating Scrub
Yogurt contains lactic acid which is a natural exfoliant. It does a great job for people with sensitive skin as lactic acid is really gentle.
In addition, yogurt moisturizes your skin, increases elasticity, fights acne while also brightening your skin. So it’s great for treating hyper-pigmentation.
For this recipe, you’ll need:
- 4 tablespoons coffee
- 2 tablespoons organic plain yogurt
- Finely grind your coffee in a food processor
- Mix both ingredients in a bowl until a paste consistency is formed.
- Apply to clean skin, rubbing it in for one minute. It’s important to always go in circular motions.
- Rinse thoroughly with lukewarm water and moisturise.
You can store what’s left of it for up to ten days.
Best suited for sensitive to dry skin
Organic and natural doesn’t always mean completely safe, even though your chances of a reaction are minimal. Before you decide on what recipe to use, make sure you’re not allergic to any of the ingredients. If you’re not sure, do a patch test on your arm and wait at least 24 hours. If there isn’t a reaction, then you’re good to go.
To safely exfoliate your skin, do it only once or twice weekly after your facial cleansing routine. Exfoliating too often can be detrimental and counterproductive.